Simon Fox joins GMG Board
Thursday, May 13, 2010
Guardian Media Group (“GMG”) has appointed Simon Fox as a non-executive director.
Simon, 49, is chief executive officer of HMV Group plc.
Since his appointment in 2006 he has led HMV’s turnaround strategy, aimed at reducing reliance on traditional revenue streams and transforming the company into a broad-based entertainment brand.
Before joining HMV Simon was chief operating officer of Kesa Electricals plc with responsibility for Comet in the UK, Kesa’s subsidiaries in continental Europe and e-commerce developments. Prior to his appointment as COO of Kesa, he was managing director of Comet Group, which he led through its demerger from Kingfisher.
Amelia Fawcett, chair of GMG, said: “We are delighted to welcome Simon to Guardian Media Group. His broad business experience and his deep understanding of the kind of transformation we are seeing in our business will be extremely valuable to the Board. We are fortunate to have a world-class contingent of non-executive directors, and it is excellent news that Simon will be joining their ranks.”
Simon Fox said: “I very much look forward to joining the GMG Board and to contributing to the evolution and development of the company in this fast-changing media environment.”
Further information: Chris Wade 020 3353 4041
Notes for editors
The board of Guardian Media Group comprises: Amelia Fawcett CBE (chair); John Bartle CBE (senior non-executive director); Brent Hoberman (non-executive director); Nick Backhouse (non-executive director); Judy Gibbons (non-executive director); Neil Berkett (non-executive director); Carolyn McCall OBE (CEO); Andrew Miller (group CFO); Alan Rusbridger (editor-in-chief, Guardian News & Media); Tim Brooks (managing director, Guardian News & Media); Stuart Taylor (CEO, GMG Radio); Phil Boardman (company secretary).
GMG is wholly owned by the Scott Trust, which exists to secure the financial and editorial independence of the Guardian in perpetuity. GMG’s portfolio includes:
- Guardian News & Media: the Guardian and Observer newspapers and guardian.co.uk.
- GMG Radio: regional radio stations across the UK under the Real Radio, Smooth Radio and Rock Radio brands.
- GMG Property Services: Vebra, Core Systems and CFP Software, providers of software to independent estate agents.
- Trader Media Group: one of Europe’s largest specialist print and online media companies, and publisher of the Auto Trader website and magazine. Trader Media Group is jointly owned by GMG and Apax Partners.
- Emap: the B2B publishing, events and information business, also jointly owned by GMG and Apax Partners.
- An investment fund valued at over £200 million.