Neil Berkett joins GMG Board
Monday, November 9, 2009
Guardian Media Group (‘GMG’) today announces the appointment of Neil Berkett to the Board as a non-executive director.
Neil is Chief Executive Officer of Virgin Media, the leading entertainment and communications company. He joined ntl, Virgin Media’s predecessor, as COO in September 2005 and was appointed CEO of Virgin Media in March 2008.
He has over 25 years’ experience in a wide range of customer-facing industries. Previous roles include Managing Director, Distribution, at Lloyds TSB plc (UK); Chief Operating Officer at Prudential Assurance Company Ltd UK; Head of Retail at St George Bank; Senior General Manager at the Australian division of Citibank Limited; and Chief Executive at Eastwest Airlines Australia.
Commenting on the appointment, GMG chair Amelia Fawcett said: “Neil brings his considerable skills and broad range of experience to an already very strong GMG board. We are delighted to welcome him.”
Neil Berkett said: “GMG has long been a distinctive presence in the industry. I’m looking forward to working with Amelia and the Board to steer the Group forward in a fast-changing and increasingly multimedia world.”
Further information: Chris Wade 020 3353 4041
Notes for editors
Guardian Media Group is one of the UK’s leading multimedia companies. Its portfolio includes:
- Guardian News & Media: the Guardian and Observer newspapers and guardian.co.uk.
- GMG Regional Media: the Manchester Evening News and its website, other regional newspapers in the North West and South, and the Channel M city TV station.
- GMG Radio: regional radio stations across the UK under the Real Radio, Smooth Radio and Rock Radio brands.
- GMG Property Services: Vebra, Core Systems and CFP Software, providers of software to independent estate agents.
- Trader Media Group: one of Europe’s largest specialist print and online media companies, and publisher of the Auto Trader website and magazine. Trader Media Group is jointly owned by GMG and Apax Partners.
- Emap: the B2B publishing, events and information business, also jointly owned by GMG and Apax Partners.
GMG is wholly owned by the Scott Trust, which exists to secure the financial and editorial independence of the Guardian in perpetuity.