Anthony Salz joins the Scott Trust
Friday, May 29, 2009
Anthony Salz, Executive Vice-Chairman of Rothschild, has been appointed to the Scott Trust.
The Scott Trust is the owner of Guardian Media Group (‘GMG’). GMG’s portfolio includes the Guardian and Observer newspapers, the guardian.co.uk website, the Manchester Evening News and other local and regional newspapers, regional radio stations, Trader Media Group (publisher of the Auto Trader magazine and website), and Emap (the business-to-business media group).
The Scott Trust was created in 1936 to secure the financial and editorial independence of the Guardian in perpetuity.
Before joining Rothschild in 2006 Anthony Salz was best known as one of the UK’s leading corporate lawyers. He spent most of his legal career with Freshfields, becoming Senior Partner in 1996. He was Vice-Chairman of the Board of Governors of the BBC from 2004 until the end of 2006.
He is, among other things, Chair of the Eden Trust and a trustee of the Royal Opera House, the Tate Foundation, the Media Standards Trust and the Paul Hamlyn Foundation.
Liz Forgan, Chair of the Scott Trust, said: “Anthony Salz’s wide experience of the cultural, media and corporate worlds will bring valuable strengths to the Trust. We are delighted to welcome him.”
In October 2008 the Scott Trust became a limited company to strengthen the protection it affords to the Guardian. All trustees became directors of The Scott Trust Limited.
Further information: Chris Wade 020 3353 4041
Notes for editors
The Scott Trust was created in 1936 to protect the legacy of the long-standing editor and latterly owner of the Guardian, CP Scott: the independent, liberal journalism of his newspaper. The core purpose of the Scott Trust is “to secure the financial and editorial independence of the Guardian in perpetuity”.
The Scott Trust Limited is the sole owner of Guardian Media Group plc (‘GMG’). GMG’s portfolio comprises:
• Guardian News & Media: the Guardian and Observer newspapers and guardian.co.uk.
• GMG Regional Media: the Manchester Evening News and its website, and other regional newspapers in the North West and South of England.
• GMG Radio: regional radio stations across the UK under the Real Radio, Smooth Radio and Rock Radio brands.
• GMG Property Services: providers of software to independent estate agents.
• Trader Media Group: one of Europe’s largest specialist print and online media companies, and publisher of the Auto Trader website and magazine. Trader Media Group is jointly owned by GMG and Apax Partners.
• Emap: the B2B publishing, events and information business, also jointly owned by GMG and Apax Partners.
The Trust Board is chaired by Liz Forgan and currently consists of executives within GMG, external members, a member of the Scott family and a member of Guardian News & Media’s editorial staff.
The current directors of The Scott Trust Limited are:
Liz Forgan (Chair)